Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Like an apprentice Terrance Malick movie. Highlights: the law men descending from the patch of trees toward the house in the middle of nowhere, the snow being thrown on the frozen blue-ing body of... that guy they killed... (I'm writing this a long time after watching it...)

It's hard for me to really fault a movie for trying to be a Terrence Malick movie, but I thought it could've been improved by just completely going for it in a few places where it didn't quite.

Especially, I'm thinking of, the scene when someone is approaching from the horizon on horseback, and his approach is framed by a doorway, and on the inside of the doorway its not quite (very very close) black, and outside the sky is gray and the ground is white, and there's this slightly curvy but essentially straight path of darker gray dirt, and the guy on horseback approaches right down this path, and I know it would have been a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long shot, but I found myself wishing very strongly that the shot would have been held in real time for the guy's entire approach, where instead he faded out from the distance and faded in into the foreground. Boo...

But the colors and the light throughout was spectacular. I wanna watch it again for that reason.

I wasn't really interested in the whole epilogue part, though. Or, I mean, I don't think I'd want to watch that part again. It was good information-wise, I guess.

No comments: