Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Omega Man

Okay, so I couldn't help comparing this to "I am Legend." What is Hollywood better at doing than they were when this was made (or at least in this movie)? Well, lots of little things. "I Am Legend," or really any modern big-budget film, looks so much more slick than this movie did, and nearly every scene--heck, nearly every camera cut--is highly stimulating. There's so much slack in "The Omega Man." Even the scenes in "I Am Legend" with Smith hanging out with his dog and such don't have the feel of slack that there is in this older film.

Also, Heston didn't look insanely ripped like Smith does. I guess in contemporary movies the hero has to look so much more awesome than most people could ever be. Meanwhile, old Chuck Heston actually has the physique that you'd more expect out of a guy in his position.

Overall, I think the story in "The Omega Man" is more interesting than that of "I Am Legend," but ultimately they're both a little unsatisfying. I like "The Omega Man" better because it's way more interesting for the zombie/enemies to be some kind of weird Luddite cult than to just be CGI's screaming hugemouthed rage.

No comments: