Monday, December 3, 2007

In a Lonely Place

Where this movie really got me was about fifteen minutes in (maybe less) when Bogart takes the coat check girl back to his place and she's blabbering on about the book, and the perspective switches for a few minutes so that she's suddenly talking directly at the camera. Except that I'm not completely sure that the camera was suddenly supposed to be in Bogart's head, because he wasn't in the same spot that the camera was when she started talking to it. Maybe it was still supposed to be a Bogey POV shot, but the effect was that she was talking directly to the audience. I just wasn't expecting it, and it completely sold the movie to me.

I do think I could watch Humphrey Bogart trade flirty barbs with his sassy costars for the rest of my life and never get bored of it. He just did it so well, and either he just got extremely lucky with his costars or he was able to draw it out of them, but I don't know that I've seen anybody else who could do it quite like that.

What was the deal with the masseuse lady, though, I wonder? Somehow she was supposed to be able to take care of any problems for Bogart's gf? It just seems weird that it was the masseuse who was supposed to be her savior...

No comments: