Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Karate Kid

(7/12/07 Dolores Park, w/Ell, Erin, Patrick, Zab, others, 7/12/07 9:30pm. Probably 5th or 6th time?)

1) Watching this in a crowded park made it really obvious how structurally good the movie is. There was at least one thing to cheer about every ten minutes.

2) The payoff scene when Miagi shows Daniel how all his hard work waxing on and off was really karate training is just incredibly emotionally satisfying. One of those scenes I wish I could forget about just so I could see it again for the first time, as it were.

3) Another film with a perfect ending. They don't even bother with a denouement, because what would be the point? He kicks evil guy's face, evil guy cries in admiration while he gives Daniel the trophy, everyone cheers, The End.

4) No wonder my younger self had such a huge crush on Elisabeth Shue: she was the gf in this movie and Back to the Future II. It was like a conspiracy to make me fall in love with her.

5) The shower Halloween costume has got to be the best Halloween costume ever. I want to meet the person who thought of that.

No comments: